There are many hazards in the Sword of the Stars Galaxy. Rumor has it there are things so terrible wandering the depths of SotS space that even in the middle of a knock–down drag–em–out war, enemies could see themselves forming a temporary alliance against something…else.
Unknown Menaces seem to be one of two types: System Confined or Mobile. Except for the Grand Menaces, mobile random encounters will not occur before turn 25, but have an increasing chance of occurring every turn that a player is not in a combat. Each combat that a player fights decreases the chance of these mobile menaces. "Grand Menaces", such as the Puppet Master and System Killer, will not occur in a game before turn 100 and then only if there are more than 50 systems in the galaxy. They have a set chance to occur that is not affected by the amount of combats a player participates in.
There can only be one "Grand Menace" per game, no matter what the settings.
System Confined Encounter
- Randomly generated upon Map creation.
- Does not move from generated location.
- May also be generated by other Encounters.
- If the player is able to move beyond the menace's scanning range before being destroyed, the menace will "agree" to a ceasefire with the player by changing its icon in the bottom left from crossed guns to a dove. Click your crossed guns to agree to the ceasefire.
Mobile Random Encounter
- Generated encounters that have a percentage chance of happening per turn.
- Will not occur before turn 25.
- Will not (generally) occur if you have other combats that turn.
- Will occur at a randomly selected colony in your Empire.
Mobile non–Random Encounter
- An encounter that spawns from an in–game encounter that already exists, usually a System Confined Encounter.
- May create additional System Confined Encounters (eg: Silicoid Queen).
Grand Menace Encounter
- One per game.
- Requires that there be at least 50 stars in the game Map.
- Will not appear before turn 100.
- May spawn Mobile non–Random Encounters (eg: Locust Hive World).
When in doubt, use point defenses. Lots of point defenses. A lot of these nightmares use waves of drones and PD will save you a world of hurt. Of course, the exceptions will then proceed to hurt you in entirely different ways.
Defeating some of the Unknown Menaces below will give the player monetary or research bonuses. When multiple allies defeat one of those menaces, all allies present get the full bonus. It is not split up.
This category has the following 5 subcategories, out of 5 total.
Pages in category "Unknown Menaces"
The following 21 pages are in this category, out of 21 total.